Under the Sea.

Yesterday Max's preschool had an open house for the parents. We were invited to sit on miniscule chairs while the teachers told us about what the kids have been learning (they've been doing an ocean unit) and how they learn (ha - you think that was just playtime, but really it was pre-algebra), and in general what wonderful, smart, kind childeren we all have. The room was full of their ocean-inspired artwork. Jelly fish hung from the ceiling. Octopii and whales adorned the walls. Cereal-box aquariums were proudly on display. (Where do they come up with all these ideas anyway? Is there a book I can get?) Then the kids joined us - fifteen four-year-olds - to perform five thematic, specially written and choreographed songs. I'll sample of few of them here for your imaginative listening pleasure.

Oh I'd like to go and sail the ocean.
Oh I'd like to go and sail the ocean.
Rock the boat (don't rock the boat) baby.
Rock the boat (don't rock the boat) baby...
*************************************************
Take me out to the ocean.
Take me out to the sea...
*************************************************
There I was just swimming in the sea
Singing do-wah-diddy-diddy-dum-diddy-do.
All of a sudden there's a dolphin next to me
Singing do-wah-diddy-diddy-dum-diddy-do.
He swam fast (he swam fast).
He dove deep (he dove deep).
He swam fast. He dove deep.
Hey that dolphin's really neat!
*************************************************

Needless to say it was fabulous. The kids were very proud of themselves and excited to have their parents at school. (Max kept reminding us that it was our first day of school...) We ended the hour with ocean themed snacks - blue jello, cakes shaped like boats, goldfish crackers. In all, a performance worthy of the tuition.

Comments

Rob said…
$10 if you can name the artist behind the "Rock the boat (don't rock the boat, baby)" lyric. No fair looking it up on the Web!
Sara said…
The Hues Corporation.

(I didn't look it up, but I asked Pete...)
Rob said…
OK, I'll buy the pizza Friday night.

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Biota

October culture guide

22 Fishes (that we ate in Portugal)