October culture guide
We had two events in October that I'd count as "cultural"...
Choral Concerto: Nine, by Tan Dun: A performance of this new work by the Bard Conservatory Orchestra and Chorus at Lincoln Center; performed in repetoire with Beethoven's Symphony No. 9. as it was written to be. Truly novel, Dun deploys voices and instruments in unique ways but not so much that your reaction is "wow, that's wierd." It was so powerful I was crying at the end. It's not often you hear a piece that makes Beethoven's Ode to Joy feel kind of meh. Bonus, our friend Nate Valsania, is in the graduate program at Bard for percussion and was in the performance.
Mrs. Warren's Profession: National Theatre Live recorded broadcast of a West End stage production of George Bernard Shaw's play. A morality story about economics and class centered on a mother who is a brothel owner and her independent daughter who discovers her secret. This version starred Imelda Staunton and her real-life daughter Bessie Carter, which added a level of authenticity to their interactions. Like all NT Live productions, an amazing way to watch a play.
And as our days grow shorter our screen time has grown longer. Plus we had some time in Rodman and the parents go to bed early. Here are the other things we've seen recently:
One Battle After Another: $5 Wednesday, but worth the full price ticket. Great action movie with enough humor and inspiring moments to offset the depression brought on by realizing that in the 16 years between the story's start and end nothing has changed. Not to mention the existential worry that our country may actually be headed toward that kind of revolutionary action and I don't know anything about firearms or explosives.
The Residence: Netflix. A light, clever mystery about a murder in the White House and the Holmes-like detective/birder who solves the case. Stylized, fun to watch; it's a shame they aren't making a second season.
Happy Gilmore 2: I can't believe all those professional golfers actually agreed to be in this movie. It was bad.
Vacation: This remake (many years old now) with Ed Helms and Christina Applegate probably didn't need to be made, but was actually quite funny and holds up better than the original.
Slow Horses (Season 1): Watched in Rodman as it's on one of the streaming services we don't subscribe to ourselves. Pretty strong overall - Gary Oldman's character is great, high production value - but I thought the season dragged and they could have told the story arc in about 4 episodes.
Man on the Inside: Netflix. Ted Danson is charming as an octogenerian who takes a gig for a PI, going undercover in a retirement home. Sweet without being saccharine. And the retirement home itself, in San Francisco, is baller.
The Thursday Murder Club: Netflix. Another movie about old people who are much smarter than I am and are leading their best lives. All-staff cast, a solid story line, and their retirement community somewhere in England is even nicer than the one in San Fran. This book series has been recommended to me as well, I'll let you know if I read it.
Fleabag: We're years late in watching Phoebe Waller-Bridge in this darkly comic series that she wrote and starred in. Now I'm sad that I've seen it all. Pretty much every word was perfect.
Comments