The drama of our lives.

On Friday we were visited by torrential rains, which kicked off a series of unfortunate events. We had a late start to the morning. I dropped off the kids at Caroline's and came back to the house to pick up Peter so he wouldn't have to walk in the rain. Pete was was waiting for the builders to arrive and pick up a payment. The contractor was late because roads were closing throughout the area due to flooding and rain-induced accidents. The commuter train was running without problem, but just outside NY we stopped because there was a fire in one of the cars! This actually only caused a short delay to evacuate that particular train car and we made it to GCT only a few minutes behind. However, once on the subway it took me another 90 minutes to make it to my office - the subway lines were flooded and the trains weren't moving. I arrived at work around 11am and settled in for a short day.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of the drama for the day. When I got off the train in Rye, I found the parking lot full of police cars and tow trucks greeting the commuters as they arrived home on Friday evening. Apparently most of downtown Rye had completely flooded. The water had been high enough to get into people's cars - our seats were soaked and the car was full of silt. Needless to say I couldn't drive it home. We await an update today from the auto body shop to find out if the Maxima can be saved.

Sigh... I should have stayed in bed.


Comments

Rob said…
Holy cow! It's the Job family! Hey -- not coming up tomorrow. Next week, hopefully. With Brian Williams in Baghdad, I can't be away from a computer for the 3-hour train ride.

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Biota

October culture guide

22 Fishes (that we ate in Portugal)